Hey everyone! This is a super busy week for me, I am working two 13 hour shifts and one 14 hour shift (which is pretty typical), but my day off between shifts is going to be taken up my errands, packing, and cleaning and on Friday I’m off to Austin, TX!
I’m still working on convincing my husband that vegan food can be something he enjoys eating all the time, daily. He really loves simple, plain food and I love food with bold, rich flavors. Don’t get me wrong, he’s open minded, super supportive of my plant based lifestyle, and happily eats whatever I put in front of him…but along the course of my adventurous experiments, I think I accidentally convinced him that vegan food is spicy, rich, and heavy. If he could eat lunchables for the rest of his life, he would, so some of these experiments have scared him a little. This week I needed to make a big enough meal prep that would supply lunches for both of us since I’m working on brainwashing him.
The key to ANY good meal prep is simplicity. My favorite way to do it is to pick two-three veggies that go together and a grain. I often roast the veggies and cover with the same seasoning while the grain is cooking stove top. Combine and throw a wedge of lemon, lime, or pour a little vegan dressing on the side to make it interesting. The combinations are endless and the sky is the limit.
Here is one of my favorites! The base recipe is a super simple Mexican Quinoa Bowl. Sometimes during the week we turn it into a burrito or make it a super fancy bowl and add lots of ingredients. When it comes to weekday survival though, simplicity is the name of the game. This recipe is super simple. It’s designed to please the pickiest eaters, the vegan doubters, and the busiest people.
Yes, food CAN be healthy, quick, easy, compassionate, AND delicious.
Mexican Quinoa Meal Prep
Incredibly easy, two pan dish, no chopping required (unless you want to, of course!)
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional toppings: salsa, tofutti (“sour cream”), vegan cheddar, fresh lime wedge, cilantro
- Rinse the quinoa in a strainer. Place in a sauce pan with 2 cups of water or veggie broth for extra flavor, bring to a boil, then turn the heat to low and simmer until the water is absorbed (approx 15-20 min). Turn the heat off, leave the cover on and let it sit in its steam 5 min before taking the lid off to fluff quinoa.
- While quinoa is cooking, coat the bottom of a pan with 1-2 tbsp oil and put the stove top on medium heat. If you are cooking with onion, add it when the oil is hot and cook until onion is fragrant and translucent (2min). If you didn’t feel like chopping an onion, go straight to the next step.
- Add the corn, black beans, and spices. Sauté until veggies until the spices are fragrant and the veggies are warmed (approx 10 min)
- That’s it! I almost always top with salsa, cilantro, tofutti, and lime. Sometimes we get wild and wrap it in a tortilla or add avocado. Enjoy!
Let me know what you think! There are a million ways to do this recipe. Drop a comment below and let me know your favorite version!
the #1 Itinerary
Great post 🙂
Chrissy Goes Hippy
Thank you so much! Hope you try it and enjoy!
This looks delicious! I am not vegan. Or even vegetarian. But I do try to only eat meat once a day. This would be great to add into my lunch meal prep rotation! Thanks!
Chrissy Goes Hippy
I’m so glad you like it! I really think if everyone could reduce their meat consumption like you we would have a much healthier society (due to both personal health benefits and the planet)! I hope you enjoy!