Who doesn’t love an easy, protein packed lunch that can be whipped up in 15 minutes and keeps well in the fridge?
This one is too easy!
This chickpea salad is fantastic because it’s fast, easy, extremely customizable, protein packed, and most importantly delicious!
Just like tuna, it’s great on bread alone or with some lettuce and tomato, or toasted with some vegan cheese like a tuna melt.
It’s also perfect over a bed of lettuce or your favorite greens for an easy healthy not so boring salad!
I usually toast some whole grain bread and make it as a sandwich and then plop the leftovers on some greens for a quick lunch the next day. Hello easy meal prep!
An healthy vegan spin on tuna salad
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1/4 cup veganaise
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon or lime juice (1/2 fresh squeezed lemon or lime) Optional additions/variations:
- 1/2 tsp chili powder (+ lime juice)
- minced stalk of celery
- sliced grapes + chopped walnuts
- chopped apples + sliced almonds
- if adding fruit consider adding 1 tbsp mustard
- Mash the chickpeas either in a food processor by hitting “pulse” 2-3x OR by hand in a medium bowl with a potato masher. Make sure not to over mash or blend so as to keep a thick, chunky texture.
- If using a food processor, transfer to a medium bowl and add the veganaise, spices, lemon or lime, and any additional ingredients you want to add.
- Throw on a bed of lettuce, on whole grain toast for a sandwich, or for a “no tuna melt,” throw a slice of tomato and vegan cheese on and warm in a pan covered over medium heat until the cheese melts.