This is a 15 minute salad I made as a side for tonight’s dinner party. We had Vegan Coconut No Shrimp Tacos for dinner and I just felt like I had to add some protein to the plate.
Traditional three bean salads are often made of canned green beans, kidney beans, and a white bean like navy beans or butter beans. It is often dressed with olive oil, white vinegar, salt and sugar. I personally hate the taste of canned green beans and wanted it to pair a little better with my tacos, so this is what I came up with!
Mexican Three Bean Salad
A quick, healthy side that is perfect for summer parties.
Feel free to customize this to your liking. If you wanted it to be get extra wild, you might try adding a can of corn!
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 small red onion or 1/2 large red onion
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- juice of 2-3 limes (depending on your taste)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (start with 1/4 cup, add more if needed)
- Optional: finely minced jalapeño, can of corn
- Drain and rinse all beans and combine in a large bowl
- Finely chop the cilantro, red onion, and jalapeño if using
- Mix together, add in the olive oil, lime juice, and salt, then cover and return to refrigerator to allow the flavors to combine for at least 30 minutes before serving (the longer the better!)
I couldn’t believe how great this came out and how effortless it was. I think I’ll be bringing this side dish to pot lucks and barbecues in the future! Drop a comment below and let me know your thoughts! If you enjoy my recipes, follow my blog or follow my instagram (@chrissygoeshippy – accessible through my home page)!