I’m really excited about this recipe. I think it might be one of my best ones yet!
I absolutely love fish tacos and love coconut shrimp even more. Giving up fish was probably the hardest part of going vegan for me! This dish checks all the boxes for flavor, nutrition, and presentation. Unlike fish, however, it’s sourced sustainably, cruelty free, mercury free, pharmaceutical free, and microplastic free!I suddenly don’t feel like I’m missing out anymore…
More importantly, though, it’s easy enough to whip up for the family, but is also great for a big batch dinner if you’re entertaining guests like I did tonight! It really was a hit, even for tonight’s 100% carnivorous crowd.
For the “shrimp,” I drenched cauliflower in a beer batter and covered it in shredded coconut. If you follow my other recipes, you might notice the batter is very similar to the recipe for general tso’s cauliflower. The only change is actually switching out plant based milk for beer. It was a total experiment but came out great!
The final product was crunchy on the outside, tender on the inside, flavorful and paired AMAZINGLY with my home made mango salsa. I decided to get wild and make a sriracha garlic aioli as well. Both are so fast to make and super easy, I really recommend trying them both if you give this one a go!
Vegan Coconut No Shrimp Tacos
A healthy vegan version of everyone's favorite fish taco
- For the mango salsa:
– 1 mango, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 small red onion or 1/2 large red onion, diced
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro, finely chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp salt For the sriracha aioli:
- 2 tbsp veganaise
- 2 tsp sriracha (can add more or use less to taste)
- 1 tbsp water
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced For the cauliflower:
- 1 large head or 2 small heads cauliflower
- 1 cup flour
- 2/3 cup corn starch
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1.5 cups beer
- 2-4 cups shredded coconut – For serving: tortillas of choice and red cabbage, finely shredded
- I recommend starting this recipe by making your salsa and aioli so that the flavors have time to marinade! For the salsa, combine all ingredients in a medium bowl, cover, and leave in fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving (the longer the flavors marinade the better!). 2. For the aioli: combine all ingredients in a small bowl, cover, and leave in fridge for at least 30 minutes for the flavors to marinade as well.
- Pre heat your oven or air fryer to 400 degrees. Cut the cauliflower into bite sized pieces and with the stems trimmed short.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, corn starch, baking powder, salt, and beer. Mix together to form a smooth, sticky batter.
- In a separate bowl, place 1 cup shredded coconut for coating the cauliflower. Dip the cauliflower into the batter, cover completely, and then transfer to bowl with coconut to cover. Keep adding shredded coconut to bowl as needed to replace what gets used up!
- Grease a baking pan or pan for an air fryer with a high smoke point oil (ex: avocado, grape seed, canola). Place the cauliflower on the pan and bake in the oven for 10 minutes or air fryer for 7 minutes. Coconut coating will be brown and the batter will become fragrant when it’s ready to be flipped. After 10 minutes in the oven or 7 in the air fryer, flip the cauliflower over and bakes another 10 minutes in the oven or another 7 in the air fryer. The cauliflower should be browned on all sides, fragrant, and tender in the middle when done. If shredding red cabbage, I would recommend doing it while the cauliflower bakes.
- You’re ready to serve! On a tortilla, place 3-4 cauliflower bits, some shredded cabbage, spoon on a generous portion of mango salsa, and drizzle on the aioli. If you want a super quick, healthy, and easy source of protein on the side, check out my Mexican three bean salad. Enjoy!
Let me know what you think! I would love to hear any suggestions or ideas you have for me. If you like my content, subscribe to my blog or follow me on instagram (@chrissygoeshippy, accessible through the home page)!